There are currently 12 uniquely designed penguins throughout the community! What’s this all about, you ask??? We wanted to create an art project to celebrate the reading of Mr. Popper’s Penguins.
This was a district collaboration! Mrs. King got it all started when she submitted a grant to the Apollo-Ridge Education Foundation. When she was awarded the grant, we were able to bring this idea to life!!! The high school students in Mr. Jones' classes cut out the penguins, created their stands, and primed them for the elementary students. They did an amazing job!!! While the high school was busy making the wooden penguins, the elementary students were busy designing them. Each grade level was given the task to design and decorate two penguins. Students were given blank templates to design. When all the designs had been collected, the grade levels voted on the one that would be put on their grade level penguins.
With the help of all the elementary teachers, painting stations were set up throughout the elementary school. The winning designs were sketched onto the penguins and then all of the students were given the opportunity to paint a little of their grade level penguins. A gigantic thank you goes out to the elementary staff for finding the time and patience to pull off this project in between Santa's workshops, concerts, and just the general December craziness! The penguins look absolutely spectacular! Each is a unique design!
Once the penguins were completed, Mr. Ost very kindly sealed all the penguins so that the awesome artwork would be preserved! Thank you for all that you do to help the elementary!! Ms. Kraemer created very clever names for each penguin! All the penguins in the community are named and marked with the homerooms that painted each penguin. This project truly was a collaborative effort! We hope that you get to see each with your own eyes!
Below are all of the places that the penguins are located! If you visit them, take a penguin selfie and upload it to our OneBook Facebook account;
We thank the local businesses that hosted the trivia stops and now will house our peguins! The penguins are located at the following locations;
1. Apollo-Ridge Elementary School
2. The Hoagie Shop 206 18th Street North Apollo, PA 15673
3. Hairstyling Etc., 306 16th Street North Apollo, PA 215673
4. Apollo Chiropractic Clinic 599 First Street Apollo, PA 15613
5. Apollo Area Historical Society 317 N. 2nd Street Apollo, PA 15613
6. Apollo Trust (2 locations)
201 N. Warren Ave Apollo, PA 15673
2113 River Road N. Apollo, PA 15613
7. Grandma's House 616 First Street Ext. Apollo, PA 15613
8. Rosie's 10105 State Route 286 Kent, PA 15752
9. Apollo Memorial Library 599 First Street Apollo, PA 15613
10. Shaulis Country Store 17645 State Route 286 Saltsburg, PA 15681
11. Dob-Bros Country Kitchen 3427 State Route 156 Spring Church, PA 15686